Tuesday 8 May 2012

An open message to my heroes - teenagers!



To all the young people who I have the pleasure to spend time with,
Thank you!  


At the moment I am journeying through the toughest & darkest periods of my life - after mum died so suddenly two weeks ago - but your messages & prayers mean so much to me.  Not only is God carrying me through them, but it is so encouraging for me to see that He is at work in your lives.


Most of you won't have met my mum, but she is a legend.  She was always dependable, reliable, thinking of others & got about life in a very quiet way - never wanting to make a fuss, but always working away in the background to help others.  I honestly can't remember her speaking badly of anyone; always giving people the benefit of the doubt.  

She had an active faith in Jesus & was heavily involved in our family church in Dundonald.  In fact, she was on her way to Sunday School to teach her P6 class when she collapsed.  The message she was preparing to give to them was Jesus promise in John 14:3 "And if I go to prepare a place for you (in heaven), I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."  I like to think this was the last thought that passed through her mind.


I'm really going to miss Mum.  Her quiet presence, her quirks and the way she loved her grandchildren so deeply and how they lit up her life in the last few years.  Most of all I'm going to miss Mum's smile and laughter; she really was so full of life and most of my grieving is for the years of fun & joy (especially with the kids) which we feel she has been robbed off.   

Yet in the mess of emotions and heartache, there is definitely some other-worldly presence of God bringing us peace, through the prayers of others & through God's Word to us.  Let me share some of them with you now...

"The Lord is close to the broken-hearted;
and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You God are with me." Psalm 23:4

"God will cover you with His feathers,
and under His wings you will find refuge;
His faithfulness will be your shield."  Psalm 91:1-2, 4

"We do not want you to grieve like others who have no hope." 1 Thessalonians 4:13 

Yes we grieve, but we also share in hope that Jesus who conquered the grave will return to defeat death forever & make us all perfect again - better & more alive than ever before.  As leaders of the Vibe, our dream is that you would know Jesus personally & share in this hope too.

Thank you for walking with me through my pain; I hope to see you all soon.

Johnny 






No comments: