Friday 9 March 2012

Spring is in the air...



I planted these with my 2 year old son last November and promised him that if we looked after them, showed them some love & watered them a little - a flower would appear.

Three months later there was no sign & I was starting to panic. Had I planted them correctly? Had I missed a vital ingredient? Would our son lose faith in his dad if no bloom would come out?

So it was with great relief that we discovered two daffodils this week (Jacob's is of course the bigger one).

It got my brain mulling over how often we are powerless to make things happen. We planted it, we watered it, we sang to it, but ultimately we had no control over whether it would grow or not.

In Christian leadership & church ministry it is similar. We are to love others, living out our faith with actions & words to those around us, but we cannot make anyone change or respond to God by our own efforts. As Paul reminds us in 1 Corinthians 3:5-7,

"Apollos & I are merely servants who helped you to have faith. It was the Lord who made it all happen. I planted the seeds, Apollos watered them, but God made them sprout & grow. What matters isn't those who planted or watered, but God who made the plants grow."

So if you're involved in leadership or ministry this weekend, do the job you've been given with passion & determination, and trust God to bring new life & growth in the proper season.


No comments: