Tuesday 16 June 2009

The Dirt on Dinger’s Bible Reading

I didn’t read my Bible all of last week.

I was on holiday, had all the time in the world, but was lazy & reading God’s Word felt like too much hard work; so I just read novels & ate ice-cream instead.

I totally believe that “everything in the Scriptures is God’s Word. All of it is useful for teaching & helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live. {And that} the Scriptures train God’s servants to do all kinds of good deeds.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17). But the truth is that in the 12 years in which I’ve been a Christian I’ve found the Bible enthralling, boring, puzzling, annoying, relevant, irrelevant, depressing and invaluable.

I missed reading it. I missed engaging with Him. I felt a little starved of spiritual nourishment & since returning from the Costa del Portstewart I’ve enjoyed a little series on Abraham – reminding me to trust in the hidden God, about the fulfilment of His promise to Abraham through Jesus & the importance of practicing hospitality.

So if for whatever reason you haven’t read the Bible in a while, why not hit the “turn off” button on the computer & spend some time with Father God who loves to speak to, teach, help, correct, show & train His kids.

Enjoy :-)

1 comment:

John Hamilton said...

Johnny, did you pick up that wonderful quote in the weekend SU Notes on Abraham?
"It gives God a real buzz when we believe what he says just because it was him that said it!"

I rather like that!